This posting is intended to teach myself in English. It is taken from learn-english-today.com
- The Past Simple tense of regular verbs is formed by adding –ed to the infinitive :
(example: Infinitive : to play Past Simple : I played.)
- The auxiliary did is used to form the negative and interrogative forms
- For irregular verbs, please see the irregular verbs table
The Past Simple is used to talk about finished actions in a finished period of time.
- Yesterday evening, I played tennis with a friend.
- In 2005, I started taking tennis lessons.
- When I was at school, I hated history.
- Five minutes ago, I finished the report for my boss.
- Last week I attended a meeting in Tokyo
- Yesterday evening I went to the cinema with a friend.
- From 1995 to 1998 I worked in Tokyo.
- Last night the concert finished at midnight.
- I arrived at the office this morning before my colleagues.
- When he was young, Tom rode a bicycle to school.
- The train was at 8 p.m. so I left home at 7 p.m.
- Last Sunday was my mother’s birthday, so I made a cake.
- I started to play golf five years ago.
- The great composer Mozart died at the age of 35.
- Julie did a lot of English exercises last week.